A Balkan Odyssey with Author Patricia Schultz
MIR was honored in 2014 when , author of the New York Times #1 bestseller, “1,000 Places To See Before You Die,” joined one of our signature tours, Journey Through Central Asia: The Five ‘Stans. Impressed with the journey and MIR’s high level of service, she reached out again in 2015, offering to host MIR’s ever-popular Ancient Persia – Modern Iran tour, which departed earlier this spring.
This year, we’re thrilled to announce that Patricia Schultz will be returning for her third tour with us, serving as host on the first 2017 departure of MIR’s Balkan Odyssey: Crossroads of Cultures, from May 11-26, 2017.
A world traveler and expert on must-see sites around the world, Patricia will offer her observations and share her expertise with other MIR travelers as they explore Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia and Kosovo.
Embark on a Seven-Nation Journey Through History
This overland journey ties together seven of the wildly divergent Balkan countries. Catholic, Muslim, Orthodox, politically contradictory, ethnically varied, this kaleidoscopic region offers an apprenticeship in diversity.
Travelers will immerse themselves in the complex history, landscapes and cultures of the Balkan Peninsula on this 16-day journey as they:
- Visit the Sarajevo Tunnel Museum with a survivor who used the tunnel to escape the shelling, and hear his personal story.
- Discover the UNESCO-listed area around the Old Bridge in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina, rebuilt over five years in an effort to heal the deep ethnic divide that characterized its destruction.
- Walk UNESCO-listed Dubrovnik’s wide city walls, which have protected it since the 13th century.
- Browse the wooden stalls of the medieval Turkish bazaar in Kruja, Albania, a great place to shop for traditional handicrafts such as alabaster jewelry, silver filigree, hand-carved wooden items and hand-loomed carpets.
- Take to the waters of UNESCO-listed Lake Ohrid on a private traditional boat, enjoying sweeping views of Ohrid’s Old Town, St. Stefan and Tito’s villa.
- Why end might a Macedonian feast in Skopje, with live music, Balkan dancing and a table piled high with succulent dishes.
View or download the detailed itinerary for more information on the Balkan Odyssey: Crossroads of Cultures small group tour with Patricia Schultz.
Travel to the Balkans with Patricia Schultz & MIR
The maximum group size for this departure is 16 passengers, and space is already filling up. Contact Joanna Millick, a Balkan travel expert herself, to reserve your spot on this fascinating tour across an astonishingly diverse region, hosted by Patricia Schultz.
In addition to our special departure with Patricia Schultz, we also have a fall departure of Balkan Odyssey: Crossroads of Culture, from September 14-29, 2017.
In 2016, MIR is celebrating 30 years of introducing travelers to legendary destinations at the crossroads of Europe and Asia. MIR’s full service, dedication, commitment to quality, and destination expertise have twice earned us a place on National Geographic Adventure’s list of “Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth.”
MIR has over two decades of Balkans travel experience. Chat with Joanna Millick, MIR’s Director of Sales, with any questions you may have: she has traveled widely throughout the Balkans, and helped design MIR’s Balkan Odyssey: Crossroads of Cultures small group tour.
You can also travel independently, on your own dates, on our Essential Balkans itinerary. There are endless custom and private travel possibilities that MIR can combine to build a Balkans trip tailored to your specific interests and pace.
(Top Photo: Evening in Dubrovnik, Croatia. Photo credit: Cynthia Hummel.)
PUBLISHED: June 16, 2016