Choose Your Arctic Circle Adventure: Summer White Nights or Winter Northern Lights
Russia and the lands north of the Arctic Circle are a remarkable study in contrasts. Winters this far north bring long nights, yet offer plenty of festive cheer as locals ski, skate and sled across the frosty landscape, cozying up by the fireside at night. Summertime answers with 24 hours of luminous daylight, luring exuberant throngs of people outdoors to meet with friends or revel in al fresco festivals and concerts.
Regardless of when you visit, the changes in seasons allow travelers to see these lands at their most beautiful, whether under a blanket of fresh snowfall, or in full bloom during the few brief weeks of “White Nights.” They’re also among the few places where you can witness two of the earth’s most photogenic phenomena: the Northern Lights in winter and the Midnight Sun in summer.
Now travelers can rendezvous with these celestial sights on two luxury rail journeys by private train:
- Arctic Explorer: Quest for the Northern Lights – Chase the Northern Lights on a festive wintertime journey.
- Land of the Midnight Sun: White Nights Across the Arctic Circle – Bask in the Midnight Sun on an exciting summertime offering.
Both journeys travel north aboard the luxury Golden Eagle private train to the remote Norwegian town of Kirkenes, where the abundance of clear nights makes for an ideal vantage point for viewing these natural phenomena. There’s also ample time to explore the grand architecture, world-class museums and of Moscow, St. Petersburg, the “Golden Ring” and other fascinating stops along the line.
Whether you’re a polar explorer or a sun-worshipper, a craver of culture or an adventurer, you’re bound to experience something decidedly different as you make your way beyond the Arctic Circle.
Land of the Midnight Sun by Private Train
Join a band of adventurous travelers during the “White Nights” of summer on a luxury rail journey celebrating the Midnight Sun. Beginning in magnificent Moscow, take advantage of the long, sun-filled days as the train heads north beyond the Arctic Circle.
The journey culminates in sumptuous St. Petersburg, where fashionable boulevards, serene canals and the city’s beautiful 300-year-old buildings glisten in the perpetual sunset hours of twilight.
Along the way, travelers will:
- Board the world’s first nuclear-powered ice-breaker, the Lenin, now a museum ship.
- Take an evening boat ride through the majestic Norwegian fjords in the warm glow of the Midnight Sun.
- Embark on a king crab fishing adventure out on the Barents Sea.
- Toast the longest day of the year at a special summer solstice cocktail party and gala dinner.
- Marvel at the luminous amber panels on the walls of the fully restored Amber Room at Catherine’s Palace.
Revel in the Midnight Sun in Summer
Visit this tour’s webpage for more details about this summertime adventure, including accommodations, life aboard the train and how to download a detailed itinerary.
Departure: June 17-28, 2019
Price: From $12,595 (per person, twin share)
Arctic Explorer: Quest for the Northern Lights
This festive winter excursion from St. Petersburg ventures above the Arctic Circle on a winter hunt for the spectacular Northern Lights. Heading north from beautiful St. Petersburg to the frosty twilight of the polar region, travelers will chase the aurora borealis as they relax in comfort aboard the luxurious Golden Eagle.
Visit four UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the Hermitage and the beautifully crafted Amber Room of Catherine’s Palace, as you:
- Celebrate a festive New Year’s Eve with champagne and a gala caviar dinner aboard the Golden Eagle luxury train.
- Visit the Snow Hotel, its guest rooms built of snow and adorned with snow carvings and ice sculptures.
- Search out the Northern Lights across the aurora borealis zone on two consecutive evenings, in the comfort of a cozy coach.
- Embark on a dogsled ride behind a team of eight dogs running over the frozen lakes and across the northern tundra.
- Take an exhilarating traditional sleigh ride in old Suzdal.
Why end might the Northern Lights in Winter
Visit this tour’s webpage for more details about this epic winter journey, including accommodations, life aboard the train and how to download a detailed itinerary.
- February 1-12, 2019
- December 29, 2019-January 9, 2020
- February 1-12, 2020
Price: From $12,595 (per person, twin share)
Ride in Luxury on a Rail Journey by Private Train
Rail journeys on the Golden Eagle private train are in a class of their own, combining the dream of Old World rail travel with modern amenities, and allowing travelers to experience remote destinations in style and comfort. Each luxury train departure is all-inclusive, with abundant food and wine, onboard entertainment and no need to pack and unpack as the journey unfolds.
Travel to Russia with MIR
MIR has over 30 years of travel experience to Russia, with affiliate offices in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Siberia offering on-the-ground support, and tour managers that clients rave about. MIR’s full service, dedication, commitment to quality, and destination expertise have twice earned us a place on National Geographic Adventure’s list of “Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth.”
If you’re looking for a ready-made tour of Russia, MIR offers a variety of scheduled departures to Western Russia, Siberia, and along the Trans-Siberian Railway. Our small group journeys can also take you to Central Asia, Iran and beyond.
MIR makes it easy to discover incredible destinations in first-class style on its tour offerings aboard the Golden Eagle luxury private train. Discover these other rail journeys by private train that travel aboard the Golden Eagle:
- NEW! – Persia & the Silk Road by Private Train
- Trans-Siberian Classic Route (Eastbound / Westbound)
- Trans-Siberian Mongolian Route with Naadam Festival (Eastbound / Westbound)
- Trans-Siberian Winter Wonderland Route (Eastbound / Westbound)
- Jewels of Persia & The Silk Route by Private Train (Westbound)
- Iran & The ‘Stans by Private Train (Eastbound)
- Silk Route by Private Train (Westbound)
- Silk Route ‘Stans by Private Train (Eastbound)
- Caspian Odyssey by Private Train
MIR has specialized in personalized, private journeys experience and we love to take your ideas and weave them into a trip tailored especially for you. Travel wherever, however, and with whomever you like, relying on our expert assistance. Contact us to find out more about our custom and private travel expertise – each trip handcrafted to your interests, dates and pace.
PUBLISHED: April 26, 2016