Hellenic Treasures: Visit 6 Countries and 4 UNESCO Sites on a Luxury Train
The ancient Greeks had big ideas, ideas that are still impacting the world today. Western philosophy, art, medicine, the study of history and early attempts at making sense of the universe were all initiated in ancient Greece. Spreading out from Athens and Sparta, the Greek civilization ultimately colonized the area between Central Asia and the western Mediterranean.
Now travelers can trace the path of the many civilizations that ebbed and flowed alongside the Greeks throughout this complex region, on an exciting new rail journey for 2017, Hellenic Treasures by Private Train, rolling through six countries: Hungary, Slovenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Greece.
Traveling southbound, the journey begins in sophisticated Budapest, with its monumental Parliament building facing the Danube. Crossing the Hungarian border, the train starts its foray into the Balkan Peninsula, where travelers will discover the lasting impact of the Greek, Roman and Ottoman empires on this multicultural and multiethnic region.
Roll in to one of the world’s oldest cities, Athens, capital of Greece, called the cradle of Western civilization for over 3,000 years. Today, Athens is a sophisticated blend of iconic ancient monuments and lively al fresco cafés, its magnificent Acropolis still standing guard above the city center.
- The Royal Palace in Budapest, the largest baroque palace in Hungary, used by Franz Josef of Austria as his opulent summer home in the 19th century.
- A tour of the Sarajevo Tunnel Museum with a survivor from the Bosnian War who used the tunnel to escape the shelling.
- The UNESCO-listed area around the Old Bridge of Mostar, rebuilt over five years in an effort to heal the deep ethnic divide that characterized its destruction.
- Belgrade’s Kalemegdan Fortress, an ancient Roman citadel named by the Turks to mean “fortress amid battlefields.”
- The cobbled streets of Plovdiv’s Old Town and its 3,000-seat Roman amphitheater, built by Marcus Aurelius.
- The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia, founded to remember the 200,000 Russian soldiers who died helping to free Bulgaria from the Ottoman Empire in 1878.
- The most dominant feature of Athens, the historic Acropolis, as well as the Temple of Poseidon, overlooking the Aegean Sea.
Travel Aboard the Golden Eagle Danube Express with MIR
MIR is an award-winning company with 30 years of travel experience in this area of the world, as well as affiliate offices in Siberia, Western Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan, providing a superior edge in on-the-ground operations. Our full service, dedication, commitment to quality, and destination expertise have twice earned us a place on National Geographic Adventure’s list of “Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth.”
Discover our other luxury rail journeys by private train aboard the Golden Eagle Danube Express, traveling through the heart of Europe to the Balkans and beyond:
- New for 2017! Range across six European countries on this deluxe rail journey: Treasures of Eastern Europe by Private Train
- Glide between Hungary’s capital on the Danube, Budapest, and the canals of Venice on Budapest to Venice by Private Train.
You can also explore our menu of luxury rail journeys by private train along the Trans-Siberian Railway, the Silk Route and around Iran aboard the Golden Eagle luxury private train. Each Golden Eagle luxury train departure is all-inclusive, first class, and first-rate in comfort and ease, from beginning to end. No matter which journey you choose, MIR makes it easy to discover incredible destinations in comfort and style.
(Top Photo: The mighty Acropolis in Athens, Greece)
PUBLISHED: October 17, 2016