New Year’s in Vienna: Celebrate in Style on a Luxury Rail Journey
Elegant Vienna, the capital and largest city of Austria, was indisputably the center of the musical world in the 18th and 19th centuries. Today a dynamic blend of gorgeous imperial architecture and potent post-modern style, its renown as one of Europe’s most beautiful, romantic, and creative cities remains intact.
Now travelers can experience the finest of what this brilliant cultural capital has to offer, all while celebrating one of the most festive times of the year, on our New Year’s in Vienna by Private Train rail journey.
(click on small square photos to see a larger version)
Grand palaces and baroque buildings built by the powerful Habsburg monarchs; celebrated performance halls and musicians; a captivating collection of world-class museums packed with works by Old Masters and contemporary artists alike; and a vibrant restaurant scene and coffee-house culture all attest to Vienna’s rich and enduring artistic heritage.
Then board the luxurious Golden Eagle Danube Express private train as it makes its way east toward Austria.
On New Year’s Eve, soak up the absolute best of the city’s celebratory atmosphere, taking a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride to a local palais for a champagne reception and enjoying a special New Year’s dinner, as well as the city’s holiday fireworks display. The next day, indulge in a sumptuous late brunch at the magnificent Palais Coburg.
Continue through green and friendly Slovakia, stopping in the medieval city of Kosice, declared a European Capital of Culture in 2013. From there, return to Budapest for a final night and a festive farewell dinner.
- Tour Budapest’s Royal Palace, the largest baroque palace in Hungary, used by Franz Josef of Austria as his opulent summer home in the 19th century
- Visit the Helikon Castle Museum, its 111-room main building once home to one of the wealthiest and most influential families in Hungary’s history
- Take a walk in the heart of Old Town Vienna, the Innere Stadt, admiring its main religious edifice, St. Stephen’s Cathedral, as well as many of Vienna’s most renowned sights, such as the Rathaus (Town Hall), the Burgtheater, the University, and the fabulous Hofburg Palace
- Explore Prague’s famous 14th century Charles (Karel) Bridge, as well as the old Jewish Quarter with its seven synagogues – remnants of the old Jewish settlement
- Attend a performance at the grand Prague National Theater, symbol of the Czech National Revival
- Admire Kosice’s Cathedral of St. Elizabeth, a 15th century gothic building that is the largest church in Slovakia
Travel with MIR on a Luxury Rail Journey by Private Train
MIR is an award-winning company with over 30 years of travel experience in this area of the world, as well as affiliate offices in Siberia, Western Russia and Uzbekistan, providing a superior edge in on-the-ground operations.
Rail journeys by private train are in a class of their own. Each train departure features comfortable accommodations, modern amenities, and superb service on board, and allows travelers to easily and efficiently cover thousands of miles across multiple time zones.
Give us a call at 1-111-111-1111 or email us to talk with one of our experts about your rail travel dreams. With so many rail journeys available, one of them is sure to fit your style, schedule and budget.
(Top photo: Vienna’s grand neo-Gothic Rathaus is decked out for the holidays. Photo credit: Österreich Werbung / Wiesenhofer.)
PUBLISHED: March 22, 2017